We invite you to Bogna Derkowska-Kostkowska’s lecture entitled “Urban and architectural structure of Bydgoszcz in the years 1918-1939”.
In 1918, at the end of the Prussian rule, Bydgoszcz was an industrial and commercial city, which, together with suburban communes, had about 100,000 inhabitants, a municipal infrastructure including a gas plant, power plant, water supply, tramway communication; it served as an administrative, judicial, educational and military centre. (…)
In the interwar period, Bydgoszcz retained the role of an important industrial and commercial centre, hence its development was associated with industrialization. New residential districts such as Czyżkówko, Jachcice or Osiedle in the Gdansk Forest, which stands out in terms of its layout and architecture, were created. The architectural layer of the city was enriched not only by tenement houses and villas, but also by public buildings such as the city hospital, old people’s home or bathhouse, educational buildings and new churches. In addition, a stadium and a number of industrial facilities were built, including the buildings for the “Kabel Polski”, “Pasamon”, and the new power plant in Jachcice.