Artists-In-Residence Programme of the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz
Artists-In-Residence Programme of the Municipal Gallery bwa is international in character and aimed at Polish and foreign artists who are willing to take on the subject of Bydgoszcz multiculturalism in experimental and innovative ways. We are interested in the city as a text of culture. We are curious about relationships between symbolic and aesthetic functions of the city. Since relationships with the audience are important to us, we are looking for projects with educational potential that allow for contact or even direct action with creators.
For artists, creators, educators and curators from different areas, such as: visual arts, writing, choreography, performance, dance, music, sound art, radio dramas, radio art forms (or radio art), literature, architecture, urban planning, film, interdisciplinary forms.
THE DURATION OF THE STAY IN BYDGOSZCZ: 4 weeks (from approx. March 1st, 2020)
THE AUTHOR OF THE SELECTED PROJECT IS GUARANTEED:
– a space for work and meetings with the audience (a space is located in the second Gallery building at 3, Gdańska St.) – see a gallery plan in attachment below
– budget for meetings with the audience and for the final event
– working together and consulting with a group of curators
– assistance in gathering of information on local resources
– presentation of the work – we look for new models of presentation and agree on them based on specific cases; it is also possible to include presentations in local exhibitions or festivals
– cooperation with schools, non-governmental organisations and local communities, as well as the artistic and creative circles.
As a part of the Programme, we expect the artist to:
– design and create the final art event in the period from 2020, April 1st – 18th at the end of the 4-week creative stay in the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz (from approx.2020 March 1st ), during which the artist will hold two open meetings with the audience (every 2 weeks, as an open studio, workshops, talks, lecture, etc.).
We are going to select one project that is most interesting and can be realised considering the technical conditions of the Gallery.
Information on the activities of the Gallery:
The Municipal Gallery bwa is the largest and most important art gallery in Bydgoszcz, established in 1949 (until 2005 known as Biuro Wystaw Artystycznych – Bureau of Art Exhibitions). The present building of the Gallery was founded in 1970. The twin two floors offer extensive spaces. Each consists of a large hall with an area of 364 m² and a small room with an area of 61 m²; on the ground floor there is another 118 square meters room.
Currently, the Gallery presents all disciplines of contemporary art by authors from Bydgoszcz, Poland and abroad. The Gallery organises subject exhibitions, as well as presentations of specific authors, including installations, video shows, performances, and meetings with artist. The Gallery has presented the works of both well-known foreign artists (Dali, Fleischer, Picasso, Warhol), and Polish ones (Abakanowicz, Bereś, Kantor, Nowosielski, Rosenstein). There are also group exhibitions (CHINaRT, Contemporary Art of Lithuania — Od Nowa, New Tendencies in Polish Painting). Gallery does not forget about the Bydgoszcz artists, for whom it organises individual and collective exhibitions and competitions (Polygonum), and who take part in artistic exchanges between Bydgoszcz and partner cities.
Gallery organises numerous lectures on art, film screenings, meetings with directors, film seminars, discussion panels. One of the major events is the annual Nights of Performance, with performances by both Polish and foreign performers. Since 2011, Gallery has been working with the organizers of the Camerimage festival, which resulted in excellent exhibitions, such as: “Andrzej Wajda – Drawings”, “David Lynch – Lithographs”, “RH75-Ryszard Horowitz”, “Jessica Lange – Unseen”.
1. Programme’s organiser: Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz
2. The goal of the collection of applications is to select one art project that will be realised by the author in cooperation with the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz, in the period from approx. March 1st, 2020.
3. The premise of the Programme is to facilitate creative process and to support artistic and educational initiatives, using and at the same time developing the potential of the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz.
4. Applications can be submitted by individuals.
5. The deadline for applying is January 20th, 2020, at the Municipal Gallery bwa’s address:
20 Gdańska St., 85-006 Bydgoszcz, please add: ARTISTS-IN-RESIDENCE PROGRAMME.
NOTE: January 20th is the last day we accept applications.
6. The authors of the projects selected in the preliminary selection will be invited to present their project in detail during an interview.
7. By applying, you confirm you are willing to participate in the interview in person, and to bear the costs of coming to Bydgoszcz (to the Municipal Gallery bwa).
8. The final results will be announced up to January 31st , 2020.
9. The commission selecting the project will be:
Danka Milewska – curator /Artists-In-Residence Programme of the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz,
Karolina Rybka – art historian, curator / Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz,
Michał Tabaczyński – essayist and translator, doctor of humanities, translator of the canon of books on the theory of new media.
10. The application for residence must contain:
• completed application form
• printed and digital CV and portfolio
• information on the action/research plan for the period of residence and/or final event
• a proposal for meetings with the audience
• project schedule (4 weeks)
• planned budget of the project – up to 8 000 PLN (in words: eight thousand Polish zlotys) – see a budget attachment
• a declaration of possession of the copyright for the project, in accordance with the annex to this regulation.
11. Any author may submit a maximum of one project. The submitted project must be accompanied by a set of documents and materials. The project and all documents and materials must be signed by the author with their full name.
12. Submitted entries will not be returned; they can be picked up in person after announcement of the results of the collection of applications in the Municipal Gallery bwa by the end of March 2020.
13. The organisers reserve the right to reject works which do not meet the conditions of these terms.
14. The author of the selected project undertakes to provide materials necessary for the promotion of the project (information on and the biography and photo of the resident, description of the project planned for realisation as a part of the residency, graphics materials).
15. By applying, you confirm that you accept these terms and you agree that your personal data will be processed for the purposes of this programme.
16. The results of the contest are not subject to appeal, and the selection of a given project is confirmed by both parties (the artist and the Gallery) signing an agreement.
17. The Organiser reserves the right to publish selected works or their fragments for free in promotional materials of the Organiser, among these, on websites, in catalogues and other publications related to the settlement of collection of applications; as well as to publish them in the press, on radio and TV.
Please submit your applications in a sealed envelope marked ARTISTS-IN-RESIDENCE PROGRAMME, by mail, to the following address: Municipal gallery bwa, Bydgoszcz, 20, Gdańska St., 85-006 Bydgoszcz, Poland, or bring them yourself to the reception of the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz, from Monday to Friday, 9am–3pm.
Digital applications can be emailed to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information on the Programme and collection of applications:
For information, please contact DANUTA MILEWSKA, phone: 52 339 30 62, email:
email@example.com / Mon–Fri, 8.30am–3pm
Gosia Bartosik Residence “Drawing as a resistance movement” is project that have been selected for the programme of the Artists-In-Residence Programme of the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz 2020.